About St Peter’s House
Designed by architect Henry Tanner and built in 1886 as Bradford’s General Post Office. This beautiful grade II listed building measures 224ft across and has a polished granite frontage. Built in the Northern Renaissance architectural style with French overtones, it is a showpiece of particular architectural interest along with some of the finest Victorian buildings in the Little Germany area of the city.
Since taking over St Peter’s House in 2008 with the support of Arts Council funding, Kala Sangam has continuously upgraded the building and its facilities to make it more accessible and attractive to visitors.
In 2000, St Peters House underwent a huge transformation when a glass extension was created linking it to the beautiful gardens of Bradford Cathedral, a calm oasis in the centre of town. This extension, an example of modern intervention in an historic area, adds a new dimension to the historic architecture of St Peter’s House.
Many visitors come to the our Rooftop Cafe that sits within the glass extension, overlooking the cathedral garden with both indoor and outdoor seating. The cafe serves fresh, local produce.
In November 2011, Kala Sangam completed the Ganges Hall refurbishment, which – with air con, multi-stage lighting and sound systems, a fully sprung dance floor and superior redecoration thereby making it one of the finest performance venues in Bradford.
The new Kala Sangam Arts Centre was launched in March 2012 by David Lascelles, Earl of Harewood, Kala Sangam continues to invest in the building and the artistic work, events, projects and education opportunities that is conceives, delivers and supports .