2017 Artists Takeover – Open Call
We have some amazing facilities here at Kala Sangam, but we’re aware not every artist out there has heard of us so this summer we’re throwing the doors of our building open and asking artists to come on in and takeover our spaces!
As part of our plans we’re looking for three artists – could be any artform but we’re primarily looking for musicians or dancers – who are looking for space to create this summer. We’re giving away a free week of space in either our sprung-floor Ganges Theatre or our sports-floor finished Indus Hall and what’s more we’ll pay you to be here that week too! We’re also offering you a paid opportunity to present your work-in-progress as part of a scratch night here at Kala Sangam in front of an audience of industry professionals and the public.
We have three of the following packages available:
- 1 free week of studio space in either the Ganges Theatre or Indus Hall between 29th August and 15th September 2017.
- £500 to cover one week’s artist wage.
- Organisational development and/or Grants for the Arts development support from Kala Sangam staff.
- Paid scratch-performance on Saturday 16th September as part of Kala Sangam’s Autumn/Winter Season.
Applications are open to all but proposals which address the Creative Case for Diversity will be prioritised. As part of our commitment to diversity in our programme we also aim to meet the following criteria:
- Gender balanced commissions
- Support for at least 1 artist of South Asian heritage or practicing in a South Asian art form
To apply please email a biography and a brief outline of the work you would like to create to email@example.com by 5pm on Monday 26th June. Successful artists will be contacted by Wednesday 28th June.
This activity is part of our Autumn/Winter 2017 season which is generously supported by The Garfield Weston Foundation.
About Kala Sangam
Kala Sangam is an intercultural arts hub which aims to reflect the diversity of Bradford through the work we present, the artists we support and the communities we engage. Based in the city centre, Kala Sangam is just a 5 minute walk from either of the city’s train stations and just a £4 train ride from Leeds.